There is a long standing myth held by general society that Lesbians are a threat to heterosexuals. A threat to heterosexual females because Lesbians are always actively recruiting and a threat to heterosexual men, because it just might be their girlfriend/wives being recruited! Often myth is rooted in some morsel of reality, in the case of Lesbians recruiting women, the myth and the reality are rooted in political Radical Feminism aka STRAIGHTBIANISM!
RadicalLesbians begin their 1970's essay The Women Identified Woman by posing the question "What is a lesbian?" and answering "A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion." Women, particularly younger women were angry to the point of explosion! Angry at the doormat lifestyles they perceived their (unhappy/depressed) mothers to have expected them to inherit, and angry at the sexism that seemed to stop/harass them whether they turned toward higher education, job career or even marriage/motherhood.
Radical Lesbianism promised straight women a utopia they believed they could never obtain from men or with men. A No Man's Land where Lesbian was a multi functional Swiss army's knife, used to give false courage, build a floor board, lay a carpet, gut any man with a sexist compliment or kill any would-be rapist. Radical Lesbians claimed that Lesbians
- "...cannot expel the heavy socialization that goes with being female, she can never truly find peace with herself. For she is caught somewhere between accepting society's view of her - in which case she cannot accept herself -and coming to understand what this sexist society has done to her and why it is functional and necessary for it to do so. Those of us who work that through find ourselves on the other side of a tortuous journey through a night that may have been decades long. The perspective gained from that journey, the liberation of self, the inner peace, the real love of self and of all women, is something to be shared with all women - because we are all women."
- "It should first be understood that lesbianism...is a category of behavior possible only in a sexist society characterized by rigid sex roles and dominated by male supremacy. Those sex roles dehumanize women by defining us as a supportive/serving caste in relation to the master caste of men...Homosexuality is a by-product of a particular way of setting up roles ( or approved patterns of behavior) on the basis of sex; as such it is an inauthentic ( not consonant with "reality") category. In a society in which men do not oppress women, and sexual expression is allowed to follow feelings, the categories of homosexuality and heterosexuality would disappear."
- Lesbian is a label invented by the Man to throw at any woman who dares to be his equal, who dares to challenge his prerogatives ( including that of all women as part of the exchange medium among men), who dares to assert the primacy of her own needs.
Popular Radical Lesbian/Feminists mantras and man hating mottoes used to recruit/ensnare heterosexual women into political lesbianism:
- Feminism is the theory, lesbianism is the practice-Ti-Grace Atkinson
- I, personally, have taken the position that I will not appear with any man publicly, where it could possibly be interpreted that we were friends-Ti-Grace Atkinson
- Since marriage constitutes slavery for women, it is clear that the Women's Movement must concentrate on attacking this institution. Freedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage-Sheila Cronan
- The simple fact is that every woman must be willing to be identified as a lesbian to be fully feminist-Sheila Cronan
- I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig-Andrea Dworkin
- Female heterosexuality is not a biological drive or an individual woman’s erotic attraction or attachment to another human animal which happens to be male. Female heterosexuality is a set of social institutions and practices defined and regulated by patriarchal mores, values, and law-Marilyn Frye
- When a woman reaches orgasm with a man she is only collaborating with the patriarchal system, eroticizing her own oppression-Sheila Jeffrys
- I feel what they feel: man-hating, that volatile admixture of pity, contempt, disgust, envy, alienation, fear, and rage at men-Judith Levine
- You grow up with your father holding you down and covering your mouth so another man can make a horrible searing pain between your legs-Catherine MacKinnon
- I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honorable and viable political act-Robin Morgan
- To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo-Valerie Solanas
- I have chosen to use the terms lesbian existence and lesbian continuum because the word lesbianism has a clinical and limiting ring Lesbian existence suggests both the fact of the historical presence of lesbians and our continuing creation of the meaning of that existence I mean the term lesbian continuum to include a range—through each woman’s life and throughout history—of woman-identified experience; not simply the fact that a woman has had or consciously desired genital sexual experience with another woman. If we expand it to embrace many more forms of primary intensity between and among women, including the sharing of a rich inner life, the bonding against male tyranny, the giving and receiving of practical and political support; if we can also hear in it such associations as marriage resistance and the ‘haggard’ behavior identified by Mary Daly (obsolete meanings ‘intractable,’ ‘willful,’ ‘wanton,’ and ‘unchaste’ a woman reluctant to yield to wooing’)—we begin to grasp breadths of female history and psychology that have lain out of reach as a consequence of limited, mostly clinical, definitions of ‘lesbianism-Adrienne Rich
- Lesbian existence comprises both the breaking of a taboo and the rejection of a compulsory way of life It is also a direct or indirect attack on male right of access to women But it is more than these, although we may first begin to perceive it as a form of nay-saying to patriarchy, an act or resistance It has of course included role playing, self-hatred, breakdown, alcoholism, suicide, and intrawoman violence; we romanticize at our peril what it means to love and act against the grain, and under heavy penalties; and lesbian existence has been lived (unlike, say, Jewish or Catholic existence) without access to any knowledge of a tradition, a continuity, a social underpinning The destruction of records and memorabilia and letters documenting the realities of lesbian existence must be taken very seriously as a means of keeping heterosexuality compulsory for women, since what has been kept from our knowledge is joy, sensuality, courage, and community, as well as guilt, self-betrayal, and pain-Adrienne Rich
Lesbian has merely been a carapace Radical