I had worked for Corporate America for 20 years. Throughout these two decades I witnessed from time to time (time to time being whenever 3rd quarter rolled around and it was apparent that projected/promised stockholder numbers werent going to be met by years end) people (workers) being let go. Not let go because they were not doing their jobs well. Not let go because they frequently called in sick. Not let go because they were just plain assholes. Let go because the company was accountable to stockholders and the company needed to show those stockholders a certain profit. In business, particularly Big Business, in order to excuse and mitigate PERSONAL responsibility for firing people (workers), businesses have enacted a get-out-of-guilt/responsibility-free mantra. A mantra so eerily similar to the Nazi lyrics of the Nuremberg Trials (we were merely following orders/we did as we were told)-Its nothing personal, its just business.
Corporate America is notorious for lining the pockets of their favoured presidential candidate. Business as usual we could say. But a few days ago something insane and unprecedented happened, for the FIRST time in US history, Corporate America was elected President of the United States of America! Elected from a contemptible campaign of female hatred, racial hatred, homosexual hatred and religious hatred; all melting into a cancerous ball of hatred against the very foundation that America was built upon-a multi cultural, multi national melting pot!
No sooner did this happen when those of us who are of a certain sexual orientation, a certain color/race, certain origins, certain religions and a certain sex were quickly squelched for verbalizing what the win for President Corporate America means to us now, will mean more to us in the immediate future and may mean for us in a now not so unforeseeable future! And squelched by people we once believed truly knew us and cared about us, our closest friends AND family. We're being reminded all over social media sites:
- just calm down
- its not that bad
- that cant really happen
- he cant do that
- you're being dramatic
- stop acting like someone kicked your dog
- stop acting like your mother just died
- its time to unify
- time to find common ground
- stop name calling
- grow up
- we've lived through Reagan and Bush (no many of us did not!)
- we are all still Americans
- lets just pray on it
- lets pledge our allegiance to the flag
- But because President Corporate America and EVERY person who voted it in, whether directly, or indirectly by voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all, believes heterosexual love TRUMPS Lesbian love.
- Because President Corporate America and EVERY person who voted it in, whether directly, or indirectly by voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all does not value the love, the respect, the bonding, the beauty and the honesty between two Lesbians is worthy of legal marriage.
- And because President Corporate America and EVERY person who voted it in, whether directly, or indirectly by voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all want to obliterate all traces or reminders that Lesbians exist in the first place.
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America ends our marriages and bans all future marriage between homosexuals!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America declares an open season for vandalizing homosexual possessions!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America declares an open season for homophobes to vandalize homosexual lives!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America removes our right to visit the love of our life in hospital because we're not married or related!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America removes our right to receive our partners health benefits!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America removes our right to inherit from our partner even though we've been together 40 years!
- Its not personal, its just business when President Corporate America removes the intangible legitimacy of committed homosexual couples!
I grew up in Flint Michigan and was a teen in the 1980s. I know FIRST hand what happens when Corporate America needs to please its stockholders. When Corporate America is ran by an idiot so far removed from the working class that laying off 35,000 people in one town means nothing outside of dollar $igns and number$. I personally watched my hometown fold it on itself as factories closed, then businesses who sold parts to the factories closed and all the businesses that relied on factory worker consumerism closed. I personally helped foreclosed and evicted family members move to trailer parks when their money ran out and no new jobs were created. I personally saw my hometown reach such a miserable low that the horrific increase of crime and violence reached such a high, that people celebrated Flint being the most violent and worst city to live in in the country, simply to have something to celebrate! And what did Corporate America aka Roger Smith have to say? Its nothing personal, its just business. When you're getting shot at because you were lucky enough to scrap $20 bucks together to buy yourself a winter coat so you wouldnt freeze to death when you slept in your car and those less fortunate are willing to kill you for it? Thats fucking personal!
Just as personal as Corporate America becoming President of the entire country! If you want to know what America is going to look like in a year or so, watch Michael Moore's documentary of Flint Michigan Roger and Me. If you want to know what America might look like in four years?
It may look just like this:
government of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE"! And that dear readers is NOT business, it is PERSONAL!