Change Your World-NOT your Body

Thursday, April 28, 2016

True Love and Butch Appreciation

My darling wife wrote this on her blog for me today and as it relates in part to Butches I wanted to share it.

True Love

Since I just found out today on Twitter that it is apparently Butch Appreciation Week (how did I miss that??), I would be remiss if I didn’t say how much I appreciate my Butch spouse, partner, and all-around sweetiepie, Dirt.
Image 56
Before I met Dirt, I had often been called “the least romantic person in the world.”  And I guess it was true. I would roll my eyes so hard at Hallmark movies and other sappy fare that I was at-risk for a concussion. I honestly thought that all the hokey romance stuff was for suckers.
And yet.  I always felt an underlying vague wistfulness that I couldn’t pinpoint. On the treadmill, I would repeatedly watch one of my favorite movies of all time, The Princess Bride (a movie, by the way, that Dirt steadfastly refuses to watch with me, which I suppose is rather ironic), and I would snort with derision at the sappy kissing parts ~ but somehow underneath my cynicism and sarcasm, I must have wanted what that movie was basically about…true love.

And then I met Dirt. And suddenly, all the love songs ever written suddenly made sense to me.  It was like a cartoon-style proverbial lightbulb suddenly appearing over my head.  Every love cliche ever written suddenly became real.  Birds singing, blue skies…well, you get the picture.
There are so many things I could say that it would take more than a dissertation to write, so here are just a few of the many things I love and appreciate about her every day:

I love that she is the most stubborn, outspoken, opinionated person I have ever met. I love it that she is completely and unapologetically herself, regardless of the approval or disapproval of others.  I love that she is up by 6:00 a.m. and fully coherent.  I love that she loves our cats with a fierce yet mushy devotion.  I love that she can cook anything from scratch (without a recipe), and that she comes up with creative meals every day.  I love it that she realizes that she is Butch and can still love cats and cook delicious meals.  I love the way she dresses, and the way her close-shaved hair feels when I rub the back of her head.  I love that she works out every day, even when she is exhausted from work. I love that she makes me laugh so hard that my sides hurt and my mascara runs. I love that she makes up silly songs about our cat, Ari. I love how she supports me and encourages me and never makes me feel bad for being a super-klutz.

I love being in love with her, because I have learned that happiness is not just about how much you love someone, it also is about how you feel about yourself when you are with her.

Mrs Dirt
Share:

15 comments:

  1. Love it! Mrs. Dirt. I appreciate your love for Butches (female). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank-you for making your love so visible. you are both courageous women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anon at 6:52! We do feel it is important to be visible, so I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful couple....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! For the first time in my life, I believe in magic!

      dirt

      Delete
  4. "Butch Appreciation Week"? I'll buy a ticket for that! Male-gay and very far from butch myself, Butch Lesbians have been among the firmest and most loyal friends I have had in my life.
    Thanks, Saye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Petre! I definitely appreciate Butches too (one Butch in particular)! :-)

      Delete
  5. Does Saye Bennett really exist, or did Dirt make her up to pretend she has a girlfriend? I'll be your girlfriend, Dirt, I'm not proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I really exist, although Saye Bennett is a pseudonym. We are legally married, so I can use the term "wife" now instead of "girlfriend". So I call myself Mrs. Dirt on Twitter. :-)

      Delete
    2. I never really doubted that you existed, Saye. My partner (fee-on-see) and I are wary of the term "husband", as neither of us wishes to be husbanded (look it up!) by the other or anybody else.
      I was among the first to crack open the champagne when you married (any excuse, my critics will say). Suckers for "troo luv", both Tewfik and I felt a warm glow somewhere where our uterus would be. Since you seem to have some literalistic readers, I should warn male readers that a warm glow in the prostate is a reason to seek medical advice.
      The different things about me and my partner aren't easily categorizable into butch and femme, but I have learnt that, primordial as equality is, complementarity is also important.
      When I metaphorically not literally "signed up" with Tewfik, I put, in the words of the old song and against all traditional wisdom, "all my eggs in one basket". Maybe both you and Dirt have done the same.
      Although I keep my options open about "becoming Dirt's girlfriend", I think you may rest easy that I pose no immediate challenge.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful piece, with lesbianism changing. Its a breath of fresh air to see a femme appricate a butch in such ways❤. I'm not butch like dirt but I'm most deff more masculine in a appearance. Thanks for writing this, still gives me hope there's love out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful piece, with lesbianism changing. Its a breath of fresh air to see a femme appricate a butch in such ways❤. I'm not butch like dirt but I'm most deff more masculine in a appearance. Thanks for writing this, still gives me hope there's love out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rinna, Thanks so much! We are trying to be more visible, even though we are both actually private people, because we do want lesbians and our lives to be seen and recognized. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  8. Hey,ima butch myself,and I must say,u 2 compliment and support eachother beautifully.In general I think the world needs more love,and more positive lesbian butch femme couples openly celebrating eachother.To the LBGT community especialy the butches out there,Stay proud.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The dirt from Dirt | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Distributed By Blogger Templates20