Change Your World-NOT your Body

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Trans Kids-When Transgender Politics Supercede the Heath and Welfare of Children (a Reader writes in)

The email below is a prime example of the identity politics/trans political correctness, school officials are being forced (by law) to evaluate. If every girl who cut her hair short and bemoaned male privilege when I was growing up, 70% (plus) of the female population would have come to the attention of a school mental health officials and diagnosed as transgender, including several HUGE TV/Film stars, including me. I commend the person who sent the email below, it takes great courage to go against the grain and do what is right for children even if what is right is against the masses.

dirt

Dear Dirt, 

I am new to your blog and I am especially interested in your posts regarding the implications of the APA transgender policies for mental health professionals. 
I fear these policies may lead to mental health professionals jumping on the trans bandwagon unconditionally!  
I am a mental health professional and recently, a mother brought her 7-year-old daughter in for evaluation because "she wants to be a boy", as well as other unrelated concerns, according to the mother. 
Presenting concerns related to gender issues, according to the mother, were as follows:  the client had recently cut her hair off very short; she reportedly exhibits behaviors that the mother feels are "not appropriate" for a girl such as fighting and "talking back" and refusing to wear "girly" clothes; and the client reportedly stated that she "wants to be a boy."  
The client stated that she "wants to be a boy" because it is "easier" and stated that her brother is allowed to do things she is not and that this is "not fair".  She stated her brother does not get into trouble for the same stuff that she gets  reprimanded for. 

Based on the above information, as well as other information obtained during a complete evaluation, I determined that she does not actually have gender dysphoria; because her feelings/statements about "wanting to be a boy" are based on completely NORMAL feelings about the unfairness of being a girl in a male-oriented society.  

I have to wonder (and worry) what would have happened to her if she had gone to a therapist who had jumped on the trans bandwagon.  

Anyway, as a follow-up, it turned out that the mother stated on follow-up that she wanted disability income (SSI) and they wouldn't have gotten it for that diagnosis anyway!  

In this case, everything worked out well, but I worry about what happens to other children who are flagged for gender identity concerns.  

Instead of exploring what is really going on, I fear in today's climate, they will be flagged for transition...

 a concerned medical professional

Share:

5 comments:

  1. DIRTY WHITE BOI like your blog gurl. Can you please post about "transracial"? Do you think it's the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to see a medical professional questioning the current practice of quickly assigning a transgender diagnosis without sufficient evidence or exploration into the patient's thinking, feeling, and past experiences. For the sake of our children's lives and futures, I hope this line of thinking and questioning will catch on and more medical professionals will question the safety and validity of the current practice. I have a hunch many already have questions and doubts but are reluctant to speak up.

    Thank you to "concerned medical professional" for speaking out. Please continue to do so, and keep asking questions within your profession. Let your colleagues know of your doubts, and encourage them to question the current climate that is so dangerous to our kids, especially young girls. Mutilating healthy female bodies into some sort of boy-like creation is not the answer. In every single case it does not make these girls males, and in many cases does nothing to relieve their mental distress, or may provide only temporary relief, while the body mutilation is permanent and leads to further mental distress.

    Thanks again to this medical professional for speaking out. I hope others will follow, so that better medical treatments can be found to help these girls grow into happy, healthy women. There has got to be a better way than medically unnecessary surgeries or harmful male hormones, neither of which can turn a female into a male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been said a ton of times before, but a lot of the cause is so societal. Not only parents wanting their children to conform to gender norms, but "butch visibility" basically being nonexistent, or existing in a negative light.
      I've been affected by both. While my family and those around me learned to adapt to my personality, though, I still have problems with my identity. Your phrase "help these girls grow into happy, healthy women" still almost makes me cringe, because I still imagine a stereotypical feminine "woman" in heels and makeup, or with a high voice and bubbly personality, being happy, and I'm not "her", and I never want to be "her" or grow up to be "her"; it sounds like hell, I want to escape.
      Then when people like Dirt and detransitioners proudly reclaim the label, the image of what a "woman" can be is expanded and I don't imagine the stereotype as much anymore. I still do a bit though, it's a work in progress.

      Delete
  3. I get what you're saying, and by "women" I simply meant female people. I'm afraid I am not up on the current or correct lingo. I just want girls -- or anyone and everyone, really -- to be happy with who they are naturally and not feel pressure to fit gender stereotypes or attempt to change their body to be the opposite gender.

    I agree about the lack of butch visibility. Gay men seem to be all over TV and other media, and accepted in the mainstream more than ever, but with a few rare exceptions there are no butch role models for girls.

    Best wishes to you regarding your work in progress. I hope you are able to find contentment in all areas of your life. I'm sorry if I have stirred up any bad feelings with the wording of my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous, June 15

    Don't worry, "women" is still the correct terminology for female people! You have to be a bit more careful about the word "girl". Feminists in the 1970s tried to suppress the word altogether, preferring "woman-child". Well, we know that didn't fly. "Girl" is a tricky word, fraught with connotations. I could give you a full history of the word (I am a linguist, after all) but I don't think that would be helpful.
    Is a 14-year-old female a "girl" or a "young woman". I suppose it all depends on context. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

    P.S. Dirt is my best gal, and my best guy too. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The dirt from Dirt | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Distributed By Blogger Templates20