Change Your World-NOT your Body

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Female Transition as Patriarchal Protest?

Shoshana Felman wrote that "madness is the impasse confronting those whom cultural conditioning has deprived of the very means of protest or self-affirmation". In every single case of female transition from the first to the most recent trans trender, every female has in her own voice exclaimed that she has/is transitioning to become her true self by self affirming herself as "male". Before she reaches the point of medical transition she "protests" her female self as false and untrue. Transition then for females has become a way to escape "cultural conditioning", an escape supported by a sexist, misogynistic society hell bent on keeping the status quo, the status quo, i.e. males in power. It is far easier for society to understand a non traditional female transitioning to "male", than to comprehend a non traditional female that challenges society's straight jacketed notions of just what a female really is.


Females being "deprived of the very means of protest" use transition AS "protest" against female constraints and by doing so ensure that other females either follow in their newly masculinized footsteps or stay shackled and immobile by remaining women. No matter the number of female transitioners, female transition is an individuals journey with a single mindedness of trudging ONLY an individual path with no forethought or after thought of women left behind! Many transmen regularly pay lip service to feminism while profiting from the kings throne. I still have yet to see a single feminist movement started by transmen or created by transmen within already established feminist groups, not one. The female transitioner's patriarchal protest then becomes the same old kick in the teeth women have endured by men for thousands of years. Women's rights cannot and will not be advanced by abandoning women's constraints and becoming men,. Only when women ban together and challenge patriarchal constraints will women move forward to become HUman.

dirt
Share:

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, inspiring and intelligent!
    There's nothing someone born female can't do, and if she likes "masculine" things she isn't automatically more male. She's just free of her cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post nails succinctly everything that I believe about FTMs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't disagree more, Dirt. "Non-traditional" (i.e. Butch or non-feminine) women exist, have existed, and will continue to exist regardless of what a small minority of FTMs decide to do. My transition isn't an attack you your womanhood, nor on your Butchness (or anybody else's).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, I dont see where I said female transition is an "attack" on women, I said it is a product of a diseased malecentric world.

    dirt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dirt, you said "The female transitioner's patriarchal protest then becomes the same old kick in the teeth women have endured by men for thousands of years."

    Kicking in the teeth isn't an attack?

    ReplyDelete
  6. However much I agree with you, Dirt, I can see where a 'kick in the teeth' might be interpreted as an 'attack'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idioms/K/a_kick_in_the_teeth_440.htm

    The phase both historically and current is used to illustrate an extreme insult.

    And if we're being honest, to point out ANY reality to the trans community, especially the female transitioners, is considered an "attack".

    Also quibbling over semantics is for those who havent a leg to stand on. Should I also explain that one as well or can we move on?...lol

    dirt

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wrote: "It is far easier for society to understand a non traditional female transitioning to "male", than to comprehend a non traditional female that challenges society's straight jacketed notions of just what a female really is."

    I identify as FTM (pre-op, pre-T) and I'm in my late 30's, and I can tell you straight up that what you have written above is not what I have personally experienced in my life. I have received very little understanding from people in regards to my desire to transition even though I am not a "traditional female". On the contrary, I am often told that there's nothing wrong with being a "masculine" woman. It's as if people around me don't really see ME, which is extremely frustrating. I am asked (sometimes quite rudely or crudely) why I feel the need to transition. Then I am told how "pointless", "sick", "barbaric", and "disgusting" they think transition is. Does that sound to you like society understands and accepts me being trans and wanting to change my body?

    I do not identify as a "butch woman", a "masculine woman", or a "non traditional" woman. Though I have been offered acceptance and understanding as the "butch woman" that they perceive me to be, it's clear that their acceptance is truly not meant for me. All of the acceptance and understanding in the world would not be enough to make me see myself as a butch woman. It's just not who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon @ 9:41 -

    I wholeheartedly agree. Well said, and good point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "All of the acceptance and understanding in the world would not be enough to make me see myself as a [ ] woman. It's just not who I am."

    If you are speaking uniquely about bodies, that's possible. If you are adding something more to the term woman than what it physically mean, then you are simply sexist.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The dirt from Dirt | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Distributed By Blogger Templates20