Change Your World-NOT your Body

Monday, January 11, 2010

Miep Gies dies aged 100


Miep Gies, the last surviving member of the group who helped protect Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis, has died in the Netherlands aged 100.

 I weep as I post this. I find this both horribly saddening and horrifyingly distressing. It has often been said that the "future is now" but as we move closer to day when no living person will have to quote J. Semprun "any REAL memory of this", I fear the future will prove Santayana correct “Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”. 


dirt

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I went to the Anne Frank house when I was in Amsterdam last year, as my grandfather is a holocaust survivor hearing about sheros like this is always heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big loss to the world and especially to the jewish community.

    Thanks for posting this L.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The dirt from Dirt | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Distributed By Blogger Templates20