Change Your World-NOT your Body

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dyke presence and ignorance in the Femme-Butch Community


When I run across comments or posts made by dykes such as these, the first thing that springs to mind is the myriad of dykes from 30+ years ago complaining about the "restrictive roles" of Femme and Butch.

I suppose its partly just a case of the more things change the more things stay the same. On the other hand it angers me now as it did 20+ years ago when I first began familiarizing myself with lesbian/Butch/Femme history. A case of dyke persuasions complaining about their ill fitting into a sub-lesbian community in which they do not belong in the first place!

I'll be the first to admit there are degrees of Femme and Butch, but "soft" isnt one of them! The first sign that you are not Femme or Butch should be feeling confined or restricted within the perimeters of Femme/Butch. If you must play at, act or pretend Femme/Butch then YOU are NOT Femme/Butch!

For legitimate Femmes and Butches there are no restrictions, no border patrols, no roles to be acted, there is only freedom!

dirt
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I disagree that someone who ID's as a soft butch cannot do so and/or be butch. As you stated yourself, there are varying degrees of butch and femme that suit each individual. Who are you to say that soft but isn't a valid ID.
    I really don't like "more butch" or "less butch"...I don't think gender is linear in that fashion. I think it's more of a "gender galaxy" with each one separate and not hinged on others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may disagree all you like, but the fact remains, Butch is butch, and "soft-butch" is well NOT.

    dirt

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The dirt from Dirt | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Distributed By Blogger Templates20